Regulatory and Local Government
Mike is a highly regarded expert in all areas of Regulatory work and has prosecuted many complex cases for local authorities and the Health and Safety Executive. One of his key areas of expertise is handling health and safety cases.
He has represented a number of major high street retailers in respect of a wide range of criminal matters including major health and safety offences, trade descriptions, misleading price indications, under-age alcohol sales, food hygiene, breach of advertising regulations and water pollution offences.
Mike has also advised and represented retailers in relation to appeals against the issue of prohibition
- been instructed in numerous cases involving accidents in industrial and commercial premises. For example: one case involved an incident concerning a fork-lift truck and side loader which was in a dangerous condition. Another was an appeal against a prohibition notice preventing use of an escalator in a large department store.
- advised a water company in relation to a water pollution incident involving the discharge of cyanide.
- represented a major retailer in appeals against prohibition notices and / or prosecutions under s2 & 3 of the Health & Safety At Work Act 1974 when workers fell from the roofs of industrial premises sustaining fatal injuries.
- represented a Local Authority in a two-week appeal in the Crown Court following the conviction of an engineering company for noise nuisance, where he was against Queen’s Counsel instructed on behalf of the defendant company.
- been instructed for the prosecution and the defence in cases relating to distributing counterfeit software in breach of copyright and supplying goods to which a false trade description had been applied.
- been instructed in gross negligence manslaughter cases, one of which concerned an investigation involving a large number of fatalities of elderly patients in hospital.
- Advised on disclosure issues under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and requests for further information by various statutory bodies in respect of a large investigation involving gross negligence manslaughter.
- advised local authorities on various issues in relation to: (i) An appeal by way of case stated regarding delegation of power to commence proceedings within a local authority and the effect of the same on subsequent proceedings. (ii) An appeal to the High Court about the ambit of a resolution prohibiting street trading. (iii) An appeal by way of case stated in relation to the detention of goods by a port authority. (iv) As to whether there were any criminal offences committed as a result of alleged irregularities during a local election.
- Instructed to advise and represent in several pollution cases involving the deposit of controlled waste and also concerning breach of planning control on behalf of both the Environment Agency and local authorities.
- been instructed in inquests involving: (i) the fatal injury of a rope access maintenance contractor falling onto a railway track; (ii) the death of a young worker in a grain silo; (iii) a fatality during a police pursuit; (iv) the death of a police officer responding to an emergency call; and (v) the treatment of a young person whilst in care of a local authority.
- Mike also has long experience of applications for judicial review & appeals by way of case stated.