Teams: Crime & Regulatory (General Crime, Asset Recovery & Money Laundering, Licensing, Trading Standards, Health & Safety, Food Safety, Environment, Animal Health, Inquests, Prison Law, Judicial Review)
Year Called: 2008
Inn: Inner Temple
Qualifications: BVC Graded Outstanding - Cardiff University Law School; Inner Temple Prize Winner - Outstanding Achievement LLB (Hons) Law & Politics - Cardiff University Law School;
Appointments: Crown Prosecution Service (Level 2 Advocate)
Memberships: Western Circuit
Bar Council Registration
Jonathan is a specialist criminal and regulatory practitioner who regularly appears in the Magistrates', Crown and High Courts in a variety of locations around the country.
He is noted for his excellent approach to client care, thorough preparation and first class advocacy and representation.
Jonathan also provides advocacy and seminar training for local authority prosecutors encompassing legal updates and tactical case preparation.
Criminal and Regulatory
Jonathan prosecutes and defends in all areas of general criminal practice; and regularly prosecutes for the DWP as well as the CPS Welfare and Rural Affairs Division, and a variety of Borough, City and County Councils. His particular areas of expertise include:
• R. (on the application of Hovenden) v Parole Board  EWHC 3738 (Admin) – Judicial Review against decision of the Parole Board
• R(S) v Q and Others – Led Junior for the prosecution in four handed 6 week conspiracy to defraud case involving council tax, housing benefit and identity fraud
• R v M – Trading standards prosecution involving Trade Mark offences against the Premier League, British Legion and Help for Heroes
• R v A – Trading standards Prosecution involving several thousand pounds of counterfeit tobacco
• R v M – CPS prosecution perverts the course of Justice
• R v J - Led Junior for the Defence in a week long attempted murder case
What Others Say….
“I am indebted to Mr Jonathan Underhill…for his realistic and concise submissions… Mr Underhill was utterly realistic in his submissions to this court, which he advanced with commendable brevity and good sense”
HHJ Jeremy Richardson QC – In the High Court
'I was very impressed with Jonathan Underhill ~ and he had a glowing report from our environmental health manager for his advocacy at the recent noise trial he did for us'
Local Authority Solicitor
'I would not hesitate in instructing Mr Underhill - cases are always thoroughly prepared, time and care taken with clients and outcomes reported back promptly. The client feedback has been excellent and often accompanies with a request that he represent them again. The quality of his representation is first class.'
Lindsey Taylor (Solicitor) - Watkins and Gunn Solicitors
'I have found Mr Underhill to be an excellent advocate who is always well prepared and courteous to all. I have had positive feedback from clients in cases he had conducted on my firm's behalf. I would not hesitate to instruct him.'
Paul Lewis (Partner) - Quality Solicitors HPJV